Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Carving texture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Carving texture   Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 am

OK, so I picked up a small carving gouge at a local pawn the other day. I brought it home, sharpened it up, replaced the uncomfortable plastic handle with a nice walnut one, and decided to try it out on something.

I got the idea of using it to do texture on turnings. I believe I remember someone talking about this at one of the meetings. I tried doing the whole outside of a small junk bowl. Too much. I then tried doing some bands. Much better. I would like to know if anyone has advise on the best way to do transition from the turned surface to the carved. Any advise on band size and placement would be appreciated as well.

I have found that it seems to look better on plain wood, without a lot of grain or color. I also have to be careful to keep the direction of the "chips" running in the same direction and about the same size.

Just a cheap Great Neck gouge. Sharpens up well, hard to say how well it holds an edge as I have nothing to compare it to right now. Stays sharp long enough to get the job done.

Here is a band I did on the side of a failed hollow form.

Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Carving texture   Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 am

Looks like a good start. Funny how I was thinking of doing the same thing the night before. You could bring it into the meeting just for fun.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Carving texture
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tips, Technigues, and Video's-
Jump to: