Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

how to make a ring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: how to make a ring   Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:42 pm

hey everyone,
I had a customer recently ask me if I knew how to make a ring (like a piece of jewelry.) Does anyone have any experience with this?
Back to top Go down
ddt

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 pm

not yet but give me a few days
Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 am

I made one this AM by mounting a piece of wood in my chuck. I then used a parting tool and a skew to shape the outside of the ring. I hollowed the inside using a small boring bar. A spindle and a skew or bedan would work as well. A Forstner bit would also be an easy way to ensure a consistent size. Sand and then part the ring. I then turned a shallow tenon on the remaining wood in the chuck. I sized it for a snug fit to the inside of the ring. This allowed me to reverse "chuck" the ring for cleaning the parted side of the ring with sandpaper. Hope this makes sense.

I noticed that orienting the grain with the length of the finger resulted in a ring that will split easily if forced on or off either the tenon or a finger. Perhaps turning a small branch would result in a stronger grain orientation. Orienting the grain 90ยบ from the finger would leave two sections of the ring with the same fragile grain structure.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Hmmmm, this could make for a good club challenge in the future.

How complicated are you going to get with this Ashly? I was just thinking you could do a bit of carving on the outside of the band.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 pm

My wife wanted to know how I was going to engrave "one ring to rule them all" in runes on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:00 pm

I didn't particularly want to make this complicated - since I've never made one before. I asked him to send me a link since he mentioned seeing some on a website.
Here it is: http://www.touchwoodrings.com/
It looks like they do a lot of inlays and stuff like that - maybe they could actually help with the structural integrity.
Nice idea with the inscription, Doug. How are you going to do that?
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:33 pm

I got intrigued and made a couple more. I made these with the grain oriented bowl blank direction, versus vase orientation. These seem stronger. Also I think I like the more end grain look.

bloodwood and walnut

The engraving thing ---- ain't gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Looking good

Hmmm, if I could find a really small finger, I have a chunk of acrylic left over in the shop. Now that would be colorful.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to make a ring   

Back to top Go down

how to make a ring
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: